Monday, June 8, 2009

Spanish Plum

These fruits in the bowl go with various names such as Spanish Plum, Spondias purpurea or locally known as Sineguelas. I should add the adjective "delicious" to it. With its succulent meat and sugary taste and a kick of little sourness, Sineguelas is one of our favorite local fruits. The hard part is, of course, its hard hairy seed. When I was in my elementary Grade 3, the word "sineguelas" was a fave word during spelling quizes. And when I had the chance to join a school division-wide spelling bee, the word was mentioned during the first elimination round. I was good only until the second elimination round. LOL. Rich in Vitamin C, the fruit is grown all over the country no wonder that it is a common sight in  fruit stands and sold at P35 to P45 per kilogram. my wifey came home with a a pack of these fruits some info says the fruit came from tropical America brought here by the Spaniards. Thanks to our colonizers :-).

No comments: