Sunday, July 6, 2008

Cooky on Guitar

I am not the best guitar player but I know I can rise above pure simplicity or mediocrity. I started when I was first year highschool the same level that my eldest daughter Cooky - who is a majorette in their school now - expressed interest in strumming the guitar in addition to her improved keyboard and recorder (flute to you) playing.

I advised her to choose first a song with simple chords for her regular practice before exploring other songs with "complex" chords combination. Simple chords mean E major/minor, D major/minor, A major/minor, etc. If memory serves me right, I was stuck for a year playing the same song over and over again before - ad nauseam (LOL) - before exploring other pieces with ease. I admitted that I didn't have a gift for this instrument although I can really play almost like a pro. I was a choirmember before and then I tried to play two more musical instruments - bandoria and banjo loud.

We bought chord guide and songmags for her to practice with. As far as voice quality is concerned, my daughter (like her two siblings) is a promising songbelter whose genes she might have inherited from her Mama. She can sing well but she needs professional advice who can possibly bring out all the best in her. You ask about my voice quality? I could not even outwit a duck even in a rigged singing contest so I decided to focus on visual arts. I don't have future with singing cum playing the guitar or other instrument but when I need a break from some project work at home, I would simply grab the guitar and play my fave songs.

No comments: