Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Jog or Jot?

The other night, my second year highschool eldest worked on her jog - a form of punishment their teacher imposed on her group for their failure to collectively clean their room. She vouched that she did her part but she was nevertheless implicated as it was supposedly a group performance. I did not pay attention to what she was doing or how many lines of jog they had to write as my memory slowly reverted back to my high school days in Holy Cross of Davao College. I could not forget my social studies teacher Mr. Misola for his unique punishment. When we broke rules he would give us a jog which read "It is the thing you left undone under the heat of the sun which gives you a bit of heartache."

Depending on the gravity of our "sins," we would write that phrase a number of times. It was a wonder though that we did not end up having severe arthritis in our fingers. I might have hated him for that jog but I believe that Mr. Misola did wonderful thing in my life when he succeeded in inculcating values in me to become a responsible person.

No comments: