Saturday, July 19, 2008

More Davao City Photos

It was in 1983 when I first settled in Davao City - 23 kms from my original place of Bunawan - when in the middle of my secondary schooling I moved here and lived with my uncle in a boarding house somewhere along Sobrecary Street. I was not stranger to the city though because for a number of times in the past we would go here to shop. To us kids then, Davao was like heaven. Our hearts would be elated to hear that we would be going to Davao. At times, I would shed a bucket of tears if Mama decided not to bring me along. I love Davao for a number of reasons.

But one, it was here that I met my pretty wife Gemma. (By the way, this is a view of Davao City Hall). Since 1983, I never left Davao as my residence. Everything is seemingly in order yet :-). Your are right Nanay Belen, Davao City is nice to live. No smog here. Right here, this is a section of Bankerohan - Matina Road where traffic jam usually occurs during rush hours.

I can always adopt myself to other places. But I don't know if I am ready to go to other places other than Davao City where life is easier. Although there are instances for traffic jams, the city is more or less far from such bumper-to-bumper situation. Well, if you ask me I would rather not drive downtown during weekdays. I have long patience but I don't venture into getting myself caught up in the middle of honking cars. Five star accommodation? Some visiting friends, opt for The Marco Polo. Free ad. LOL. Pay me, pay me!

Next photo I took from Quirino Avenue. I missed to know the imposing building but I know this is near to the Davao Doctors Hospital.

What am I doing? A photo blog? Maybe. LOL. This one is a portion of Roxas Boulevard where I usally waits for a Public Utility Jeep when I'm not driving. From here to our place, the fare varies from Php15 to Php18. Depending on the mathematics of the "conductor" or the driver. But I think, the fare from here to our place is probably Php21. I still have to see the fare matrix that PUJs place where it is easily seen by the passengers. There are commuters who would argue with the drivers or the conductors as to the "exact fare." The fare matrix issued by the Land Transportation Office resolves that usual and useless argument. In my case, I would prefer not to argue with PUJs that "charge much" fare knowing well that they have the matrix or even without it the price of fuel is simply onerous to them. There were occasions also that I was "under-charged" in exchange for so-called "over-charges" I willingly gave. That's life. Somewhere, there is always blessing talking about "give and take."

The next photo is a view of San Pedro. Another commercial center of the city. There are no skycrapers in the city. I cannot answer your questions why. I don't know why the investors are not putting skyhigh buildings in the heart of the city. Maybe not yet.


This last photo is the worm's eyeview of the Legislative Hall of the Davao City where well-meaning ordinances and resolutions were crafted by our city councilors. And absurdities too you can see in this august body. LOL. Talking about well-meaning ordinances, I am talking about the Anti-smoking Ordinance and the Davao City Women and Children Development Code (did I say it right?). The former prohibits smoking in public places while the latter disallows bikini shows in the city. I think one of the bars here is recently in hotwaters when, in the pretext of doing a marketing strat, staged a bikini show. Local law enforcers did not let it pass when they filed proper charges to the bar owner and manager. For the anti-smoke belching.. er... anti-smoking, a number of recalcitrant smokers were already charged after they were caught puffing cigarettes in public places.

1 comment:

Brian said...

It's nice post and your picture make this story more live