Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Field Day

After my job contract ended recently, fieldwork drastically shifted to the city landscape. I worked with various non-government organizations in the past and among my tasks and functions then brought me to the various areas in Mindanao. Years, later I was able to work in a consulting office for a government project where I had the opportunity to travel to its areas. Now that I am free as a bird, I would go to downtown to meet clients like I did yesterday. As I went, I took photos for my blog. These I share with you.

DavaoeƱos know this familiar junction in P. Reyes and Bonifacio Streets. I just came out from the Philippine National Bank (PNB) situated right where I stood to take this photo. The traffic enforcer was on the alert monitoring the flow of traffic that noon.

This was a take of one of the avenues of the city - Claro M. Recto Avenue which used to be called as Claveria. If I remember it correctly, C. M. Recto was looked up as one of the best political figures in the country. He was a famous nationalist stateman while "Claveria" was taken from the Spanish governor-general Narciso Claveria during the Spanish control. But what sticks to my mind was the anecdote about this place. The joke goes this way: A cross-eyed jeepney driver upon seeing a thin commuter shouts "Klabira2x!" (human skeleton). Not to be outwitted, the commuter would loudly ask for the destination of the jeepney, "bolibat?!" (Boulevard or Quezon Boulevard). A vernacular, "libat" means cross-eyed.

Almost 12 noon, I walked-though this street to the meeting place. This is Bonifacio Street with Bolton Street to the right where you can see people walking through the pedestrian lane. Many of our streets here got their names from American occupants like Bolton Street which was named from Lt. Edward Bolton (governor of Davao in 1906).

Can you see that? That's Jaltan - one of the restos offering native delicacies like Bibingka (rice cake), Kutsinta, Suman, etc. Here my friend was waiting fro me to discuss with me their newspaper. Jaltan is a business of the family of my friend who would hire me to draw a large editorial cartoon (using chalk) right on the wallnews called Budyong during college days.

This is the section of one of the overpasses of Davao City. I remember that during its construction stage, I commented in one cartoon strip I drew that it would ease up the traffic jam in the city when all the vehicles passing though here would not enter the city. This connects J. P. Laureal Avenue and Dakudao to Buhangin to the Diversion Road a.k.a. Philippine - American Friendship Road (?).

If there are no vehicular accidents, traffic here is more often smooth. This is one of the main thoroughfares of Davao - J. P. Laurel Avenue.

That's the Pryce Tower. Their imposing tower. Isn't it? Ok, not if compared to the skycrapers in other cities in the world.

I forgot the name of this glass building along J. P. Laurel Avenue. But this is just near to the Pryce Tower or situated by the entrance to the Pryce Tower. Soon I will go back to Pryce Tower to pay for my loan with PAGIBIG.

There are still trees in the city like this one. They are cool to the eyes. The only thing is that we need to closely monitor the status of these trees (usually old ones) because there were already accidents of branches falling on hapless vehicles in the past. The local governemnt had to demolish some really old trees for the safety of the motorists. I should have focused on the tree I am talking about and not the facade of the new Philippine Long Distance Telephone office along P. Reyes Street. Next time.

No comments: